We're always making improvements to FoodChecker so it's as easy and helpful for you as possible.
Here's what's new:
- We've upgraded the food and drink product database
In fact, we’ve completely transformed the way we source information about products, and automated our system of classifying them according to the Victorian school canteens policy and Healthy Choices guidelines!
Over the next few months you’ll have access to 1000s more food and drinks products classified GREEN, AMBER or RED, with updates occurring throughout the year!
Learn more about the changes, and how this will affect your past assessments.
- We've updated some product classification criteria.
The criteria to classify the following product categories has been updated:
- Savoury snacks - Popcorn
- Drinks - Kombucha and fermented soft drinks
- Milk drinks - Milk and alternatives (plain and/or flavoured)
- Milk drinks - Breakfast drinks
- Drinks - Juices and Fruit Drinks
- Drinks - Waters - Flavoured (Still, sparkling, soda)
- Drinks - Coconut water
- Savoury snacks - Crackers, crispbreads and savoury biscuits.
Read about the updated criteria for the Victorian schools policy here and the Healthy Choices guidelines here.
- We've added new product categories
Now you can classify the following pre-made, packaged products as GREEN, AMBER or RED according to the Victorian schools and Healthy Choices guidelines:
- Tuna and cracker products
- Coconut chips
- Seaweed products
- Canned/bottled coffee (water-based)
- Sandwiches, wraps, rolls
- Sushi and rice paper rolls
- Now you can assess vending machines!
Now you can use FoodChecker to find out if the foods and drinks in your vending machine meet the Victorian Government’s Healthy Choices guidelines.
Just enter every drink, snack, and meal in your machine to find out the overall percentage of GREEN, AMBER or RED items, and get tailored recommendations for healthier changes.
(Not available for long day care or school assessments)
- You can now assess kombucha and fermented soft drinks.
Just look for the new option under the 'Drinks' category.
(Note: does not apply to long day care menu assessments).
- We've redesigned the My Assessments screen.
It's now easier to find what you're looking for. Log in now to take a look.
Now you can:
- search your assessments by name, organisation name, or ID number
- see the of % GREEN, AMBER and RED on each menu at a glance.
- filter assessments by result, assessment type (menu, product, recipe), completion status and date.
- archive assessments, so they don't appear on screen (you can find them again if you sort by 'Archived')
What do you think of the new design? Let us know in an email.
- It's now easier to tell which products came from the main database, and which ones you assessed yourself.
The products you assessed yourself will now always appear differently in the product search results, and in assessment reports (on screen and PDF).
- Search for GREEN, AMBER, and RED products by category.
Find healthier sweet and savoury snacks, drinks, hot take away foods, ready-made meals, and much more!
You can search more than 3000 packaged food and drink items in 14 different categories. Search and assess products.
- Some ingredients are now easier to find, such as minced garlic, Nuttelex, and ingredients that are usually plurals (eg, strawberries).
- We've added around 200 new products to the database, including ready to eat meals, breakfast cereals, sweet and savoury snack foods.
- You can search the title of recipe in the 'Common recipes' section using partial keywords.
For example, you can type “cass” to find all recipes with "casserole" in the title.
- We've simplified the options in the header (purple bar) so you can easily find the links you need.
- Links to the 'Instructions' and 'Frequently asked questions' pages are now in the footer, so you can access these pages from anywhere in the website.
- You can give your copied assessments a new name. For example, "Week 1 menu - version 2".
- We've added instructions on the long day care menu assessment screen to show you where to add drinks.